Sunday, January 2, 2005

What's in a New Year?

After reading my friend Wes' blog, I realized I had not yet expounded on the arrival of 2005 and the passing of 2004. I'm not even sure what to say regarding either. Maybe a list (I promise not to eat it) would help....

2004 Happenings
  • Moved north of the Mason-Dixon line for the first time in my life. New York is definitely a crazy and wonderful place to live, but I'd not recommend it to the faint of heart.
  • Quit one job and started another. (That's what happens when you move.)
  • Discovered exactly what I could live with and what I could not. Actually, this is a work in progress, as there is not a whole lot of room in our small apartment and I'm discovering everyday that I don't really 'need' some things I thought I did. Although a bigger closet would be lovely!
  • Joined the Juilliard Choral Union and got to sing in Carnegie Hall for the first time! Very cool, BTW.
  • Cooked Thanksgiving AND Christmas dinners at my house! I'm a big girl now!
  • Lost a few friends (if you are reading this, you are in the clear!)
  • Made several new friends, that will probably end up lifers. You tend to stick together in the big city, makes it more inhabitable, somehow. That, and you are practically living on top of one another, so getting together with friends is much easier!
  • Learned that it's not where you live, it's who you are with and what you do along the way.

I'm sure there is much more, but there is no need for me to go on and on and bore you. Most of you know all of the above anyway. As far as 2005, I know of a few things that will most likely happen, like obtaining my Professional Engineers License. God willing I pass the stupid test, of course. Speaking of, I have to actually STUDY again! Yuck. Not looking forward to it. And, I know I'll sing in Carnegie Hall again. In 3 weeks, actually, which is very cool. I have a few more goals, call them resolutions if you like. Here goes....

2005 'Goals'

  • Pass that damn test so I only have to study for it once!
  • Travel to Europe again. Actually, travel more. Period.
  • Curse less. This is actually difficult to do in NYC, as explicatives just tend to fly out the minute someone irritates you. Thus the 'goal.'
  • Actually having an exercise program I follow on a regular basis. This would require me to commit to going to the gym consistently for more than 2 weeks, as I've been told this is the time it takes to establish a routine. We'll see. As of right now I consider the walk up the stupid hill to the subway, then from the subway to work my daily workout. I doubt Denise Austin would agree that I was shrinking my female fats zones with this regime. But she can just #$*^*@#! (Again, working on 'goal' number 3.)
  • Finish the cross stitch I'm working on. I'm bored with it now, so we'll see.
  • Print and organize the loads of digital prints we have on our computer and display some in our apartment!
  • Give more to charity. I have plenty. They need more.
  • Work on my patience level. It tends to be very low. Short, if you will. Luckily, I married a man who reminds me of this every day.
  • Attend my 10 year high school reunion. Well, we'll see, as I definitely live too far to just make this a last minute decision! But I'm thinking about it, if only to brag about my wonderfully cosmopolitan life in the big city! I actually can't believe I will have been out of high school for 10 years in May. Am I old?
  • Enjoy my time in New York City to the fullest. It's such a cool place to live, and who knows how long we'll get to live here? So, I vow to not roll my eyes every time Joel mentions going to a museum! And I will explore new neighborhoods and go to new and different restaurants, which is easy to do in NYC, as there are TONS.

I have a few hopes for the year, but I'm certainly not going to put them out there for all you people to read! They are private, so back off with the questions!

What about all of you? Anything you want to share? Be sure that 'Travel to NYC to visit Joel and Katie' is on that list, damnit! We love to have visitors!

Happy New Year to you all!

No comments: