Saturday, January 15, 2005

Completely Freaked

I started looking at the material I'm going to use to prepare for the PE exam in April. Yes, in APRIL, exactly 3 months away from today. For those of you who don't know any engineers, train or otherwise, PE is the Professional Engineers exam, a test that all engineers who want to practice engineering in the US must take in order to do so. Similar to the Bar exam for lawyers, except that it's a national test, not state-specific, and it's only one day, instead of 3. But, if I pass, I don't ever have to take it again! Joel and I are both taking it, so at least I have a study partner. I am taking the Civil Engineering exam, and Joel is taking the Structural exam. What I have discovered upon further examination (no pun intended), is that I have 5 times as many topics to study as Joel! My review book is 3 times as thick as his, and I have to be knowledgeable in 5 topics, instead of his 1. I am NOT ready for this! 3 months may seem like a lot of time, but I am already feeling the crunch, and wondering if I can actually do this. On top of everything else, I'm living and studying with a man who is a genius. He only made 3 B's in 6 years of school, including his masters classes! I'm overwhelmed, and I haven't even started yet. This is going to be the worst 3 months of my life....

5 comments:

Pigs said...

Oh, you can do it! Mike studied while dating me and I am clearly a huge distraction!

Timmie Smith said...

Ah yes, Joel B the genius. That isn't the title I had for him when I realized the only reason he came to calculus lecture was to hang out and talk about baseball. I would have at least thought a little would rub off on me, but alas, the C's I got seem to indicate otherwise.

You'll make it though this. Just try not to look at the thckness of the entire study book.

Rebecca Lynn said...

I feel your pain. I am supposed to take the LSAT in less than 4 weeks. Ive had the book for ages. Have I done any of it? Of course not....

Good luck, and good on you for actually studying. I should follow your lead.

vifernandez0808 said...

YOU CAN DO IT! I know you can. Of course, it'll be a bit of work, but you'll be so glad you did it. Just take in baby steps, say 30 mins a night or so. That's what I did when I took the LSAT. A first I was concerned but when you realized you KNOW the material, you just have to focus on doing it. And you know some genius top out...what if Joel reached his peak? Just kidding. Good Luck!

C-Shock-N-Awe said...

KT, You can do it!!! I studied for the PE with a new born baby in the house, while being overloaded at work. And now I can proudly tell people that I am a PE. My biggest advice is two fold. Work problems, problems and more problems. Second don't fret, it doesn't help. I took the Civil test with the water resources afternoon section. It was tough, no doubt, but like I said, I passed. I probably started studying with earnest about the middle of August. And by earnest I mean on the weekends. Took some time off around the first of September for bird season. Then middle of September through test time was every weekend and most lunches. I worked lots of problems and only about half the test was even remotely similar to the problems that I had worked. Not to depress you any more, but you can do it!!