Friday, September 30, 2005

A Chapter Ends

It's my last day at work. Bittersweet is the word. It was my last day (until February) to walk to work with Bubba. My last early morning stroll down 23rd Street (I'll be getting off a stop earlier). My last cup of coffee from my coffee place where they know my order and make it when I come in without my asking. It's a day of 'lasts,' but it's not sad. Part of me wishes things had been different and I wasn't leaving. But the other part of me is very excited to be starting something new. A door is closing, but a window as opened and I'm jumping out head first.

It's weird, when I've left jobs in the past, I've been much more emotional than I am now. Even in Dallas, where I fully intended to return. I think that's because I was much more connected with the people there. They were, and are, my friends. Here, that connection just does not exist. So I'm not sad to be leaving the people. I don't think of people here as my 'friends' per se, just my co-workers. I think that's the difference....when you say good-bye to friends, there's a lot more emotion involved. And, I'm just going around the corner, I'm sure I'll run into them sometime. Although Manhattan is a place where you can live or work around the corner from someone and NEVER see them unless you plan it.

Anyway, I'm turning a corner today and not looking back. Here's to hoping it's better this time.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on the new job, and good luck. Im sure you will do fabulously. I cant wait to hear about it!