Sunday, March 20, 2005

Send In The Clowns

I got to do something really cool last night to help alleviate my boring, study-filled life. I sang at a tribute to Steven Sondheim. One of the theaters in town puts together a free series called Wall-to-Wall, in which they pay homage/tribute to one particular composer. Last night was Wall-to-Wall Sondheim. The Juilliard Choral Union sang 3 pieces he wrote that Jason Robert Brown composed for us. It was perhaps the coolest thing I have ever gotten to do. And, and, and....I even had a solo in two of the pieces! I sang, by myself, in front of Steven Sondheim! Granted, it wasn't for very long, but it was still by myself! Everyone said I did good, so I guess it was ok. I didn't screw up or anything! Yesterday was Sondheim's 75th birthday, so we even got to sing happy birthday to him! Me, the choir, Alfred Molina, Angela Lansbury, George Hearn, Neil Patrick Harris, Patti LuPone and Barbara Cook, to name a few. It was awesome!!!

The only bad part was that it was an extremely popular event, especially because it was free, and Joel didn't even get in. Lines were around the corner and it was standing room only. It may be the coolest thing I have ever done, or will ever do (although it's still too soon to call that), and my sweet hubby wasn't even able to share it with me. :(

(That was for him, but between you and me, it was AWESOME!!!!! Maybe it will make my singing career take off! Yeah, right.... What career?)

3 comments:

Pigs said...

But more importantly, did you meet Doogie Howser?

Editor in Chief said...

Nope, I didn't get to meet Doogie Howser, I never saw him back-stage. I must say though, he had the best voice and sang the best of all the ones I actually heard. I am very impressed! Who knew?

Anonymous said...

Doogie Howser can sing? What'd up wit dat? Next thing we'll know Carmen Electra can act.

That sounds like a really awesome event. How exciting to have a solo...so what if it was short, it was a solo!! I'm glad to hear the experience was great, even if Joel didn't get to go. Next time!